Thursday, February 25, 2016

IN DEPTH INTERVIEW SERIES: Week of 22 February 2016

An interview with Mike Kantey and Chuma Mmeka

Pushing Boundaries: A conversation with Nigeria’s Next Generation Poet
 
Esta semana , nós da BNAP falou com Chuma Mmeka , o poeta / escritor / ator, extraordinário sobre poesia e no próximo poesia geração. Nascido em meados dos anos 70 da Nigéria , Chuma testemunhou muitos abusos e tem usado a poesia como uma forma de se expressar.

You have described yourself as a new generation writer, what do you think sets you most apart from the old generation?

CM: First, I will say that the fact that I write all my work of poetry in modern day English sets me apart from those whose poems still sound the tone of archaic construction. Usually when people write poetry in Nigeria and indeed the rest of the world, a collection would comprise a few true tales and much more of fiction to make up a book length. I didn't want my work to be like that, so I made it a point of duty to write only of my personal experiences. My writing resolve takes me time, but it has already given me two full book lengths. Also, in my wide book reading, I am yet to find a single collection of poems that is like my book The Broken Home. With several poems showcasing a wide sphere of themes including culture, love, hate, patriotism, etc. in formal verse, free verse, sonnet etc. and all telling the progressive true life story of a baby boy offspring of a marriage gone awry, who grows into a man experiencing the causes and negative effects of abuse in the family; the work remains the first of its kind in a literary world where long stories of this nature are written mainly as prose.

 As a multi disciplinarian artist, what advantage do you think poetry has over other art forms you’ve used and how do they dovetail with each other?

CM: Indeed, poetry is the only art form that allows me to disgorge the contents of my mind in an unfettered manner. While I am also an actor in the Nigerian film industry for instance, the story line is usually fictional and someone else's work. In the end however, all the art forms in which I am involved with, dovetail into each other as they each afford me the opportunity to reach a wide range of people with my messages and motivational ideology.

What would you say is unique about the Best New African Poets (BNAP) anthology and what sort of impact do you think BNAP will have on the next generation of African writing?

CM: BNAP can be said to be unique in the sense that it is one of the first poetry anthologies that recognize the talents of new breed African poets. I see this BNAP first edition as a motivator for the next generation of African writers who are searching for opportunities that recognize and accept skills without feeling like you are being choked with some colloquial bottle necks. The next edition will no doubt be a bomb as there are already many young African poets cannot afford to miss out from it. 

 If you’ve read the book already (or parts of it) which pieces really stuck out for you and why?

CM: (Laughing) My own pieces of course! My three poems in the anthology: “A People's Culture”, “My Ekpe Dance”, and “Once Upon A Christmas Day” are the only poems I saw in the anthology that centre on contemporary African tradition, depicting local cultural values that have continued to survive till date.

The Best “New” African Poets Anthology can be purchased at http://amzn.to/1mwo3Go 

 
Mike Kantey sente o que diferencia o BNAP de todos os outros livros de poesia é porque todos os grupos de nós em um livro , promove o espírito de africanism pan e nos faz sentir mais perto de si

1)     Who /what introduced you to poetry?
            MK: Poetry was always in my life: from the earliest nursery rhymes to the popular songs   on radio.

2)     What kind of poetry/ storytelling tradition exist in your culture/country and has this had any bearing on your writing?
MK: Being a multilingual country with many cultures from all over the world, I have been exposed throughout my life to many voices and many traditions, so that I was led to study not only English at the University of Cape Town, but also Greek & Roman Literature and Philosophy and Religious Studies and I also majored in the African Languages. As a result, all of my work is conscious of the variety of human experience and culture, and all my writing is multi-voiced and multi-cultural in spirit and expression.

3)     What attracted you to writing books for children and how does your approach to writing change when you’re writing for adults?
MK: I have always been attracted to children’s literature and often collected award-winning literature from all over the world. I then worked as a publisher in the nine African languages of Southern Africa, with a high percentage in the first few years of mass schooling, so it was natural for me to write for that audience. I guess the difference lies in the simplicity of both the story and the language, the greater element of surprise and fun.
Great stories for children are like great jokes: short and to the point. Novels and narratives (like All Tickets, Touching Circles, and Touching Hands) are like choo-choo trains: a bunch of little stories all strung together and a little bit drawn out.

4)     What urban influences have influenced your writing?
MK: The biggest influence in my life has been the City of Cape Town, although I am familiar with many others through the power of literature, TV, radio, and film, and by visiting (among others) Paris, Rome, London, Amsterdam, New York, and San Francisco.

5)     How have you been able to interlink your love for poetry and your love for environmental (and other forms of) activism?
MK: Some of my poems are expressly political, some are obviously talking about environmental themes, but I am more likely to talk about the tinier details of the environment (like a bee tumbling within a flower), some influence of Chinese and Japanese poetry, and more importantly about my ever-abiding love of particular women in my life at a particular time in the past (and – of  course – my current partner), which I guess owes tribute to the tradition of love poetry and troubadours throughout the world.

6)     As a writer who also has experience with editing, what do you think sets the BNAP anthology from other African anthologies?

MK: Obviously, the wide selection from different countries is what sets this anthology apart, but also I think the spirit of Pan-Africanism: the idea that we are all brothers and sisters in one sub-Continent, or region of Africa, and therefore it helps me to feel closer to those of my brothers and sisters in the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment