Friday, May 27, 2016

IN DEPTH INTERVIEW SERIES: Week of 23 May 2016

Woman issues series, BNAP Interviews Claudia Cassoma, the Angolan poet 

1. Tell us about yourself.
I was born in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, Angola, in it’s capital city, Luanda, and I am the second of six children.  I’m constantly in the pursuit of a higher education and while in my praiseworthy journey I invest time in social work believing that the volunteer help those in need, contributing to a more just and united world. I have been passionate about writing from early age. I’ve explored different literary genres, but I must say that, for now, I’m mostly recognized for my poetry. I had my first book published in January of 2013 and since then I’ve celebrated several achievements in the literary world.



2. What inspires you to create?
Inspiration is not a constant; on the contrary, it’s ever changing. So whether it’s something I experienced, something I saw, heard, or even something I imagined, anything can inspire me. Life inspires me! The world I envisioned inspires me, so I go and I create it. On the other hand, that feeling that I can give someone a voice drives me deeply. It’s gratifying! 

3. As a woman writer what areas in writing/publishing you think needs a lot more to be done toward changing them, and what do you propose?
Although I’ve been writing for almost fifteen years, I’m just now entering the publishing world. And without separating the genders, I believe that it’s less arduous for the already renowned writers. You can be a good writer but when you try to create  your own platform it’s when it gets wearing. Particularly in the Angolan market, according to my own experience, it’s ridiculously difficult. I’ve had experiences with European and american publishers as well and things weren’t as thorny. In those, I found that  it’s really about your talent, so as long as you prove originality you have a spot, and that’s what’s in fault in some areas.

4. This week is Mother’s week, what did you do for your mother or the mother in you?
            It’s funny because, now, no matter the occasion, my family expects a message from me, poetry or not. So I did that. I wrote a new poem for my mom.

5. Give us your take on feminism, womanism…
There’s a lot of misconception around this subject. Anyone can be an advocate of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. The more the merrier! I agree that it is somewhat complex because we have to consider both genders equal yet different and find a common ground, so that’s the challenge. I do believe that we, woman, still have some miles to go in order to reach that equilibrium.

6. What else do you do or like doing?
            So, besides writing and volunteering, I like watching TV on my down time, going to the movies and just spending time with friends.  I love some quite too; just lay and  listen to music.

7. What kind of music are you now listening to?
Interesting question. It just so happens that today I find myself listening to a lot of underground hip hop. I found that there’s just so much poetry in them that I can’t help but listen to one after the other. I proudly listen to the music made in Angola, Kizomba, Semba, RAP happens to be my favorite right now. And I’ve always liked R&B/Soul, so I listen to that too. I guess what I am trying to say is that I have ears for all kinds of music, it just depends on my mood.

8. Tell us about your poem(s) in BNAP.

Let’s start with the English one. I sent “Panties & Pots” mainly because of the reaction people had when I first recited it. It was an interesting circle, with people from different places, ages and gender, and to see the different ways they interpreted really inspired me. So when I got informed about this contest I just thought that it would be a great opportunity to talk about the issues addressed in the poem. I didn’t know people would take it so personally, but they did and I couldn’t be happier. We are in an era where the discussion is about what women were and what they are today, and what it all means. The poem is about this woman that just had an epiphany and finally understands the way she was raised and how that explains the way she lives now as a woman. What I love about the poem is that no matter the position anyone takes everyone has an opinion and they are talking about it.
            So I suggest that everybody acquires the book and read to understand exactly what I’m talking about. It’s on amazon, by that way here http://www.amazon.com/Best-African-Poets-2015-Anthology/dp/9956763489 .
My second favorite poem is Eu vou voltar (I’ll go back),  which talks about my love for my country, and how I feel about being away from everything and everyone, and just the eagerness of going back one day. The third one is a love poem, also expressing a woman’s feeling. Overall I am just honored to have these three poems on this wonderful, different and well-made anthology.

9. What areas do you want future BNAP anthologies to address?
            I can’t think of many changes you need to undergo; however, as  Achieng’ Emily discussed on her interview I think it would be interesting to see poems in other (African) languages. But just so a bigger number of people have the opportunity to read and hear our voices, I suggest a translation side-by-side. I think there’s a number of ways it can done. Otherwise, it’s amazing what you guys are doing. Keep it going!


No comments:

Post a Comment