Tuesday, May 3, 2016

IN DEPTH INTERVIEW SERIES: Week of 2 May 2016

Kariuki wa Nyamu aka Nyamu KJ


Tell us about yourself…

My name is Kariuki wa Nyamu aka Nyamu KJ. I am a poet, radio playwright and editor who hails from Mwea, Central Kenya. I am also a high school teacher of English and Literature. I am glad to have been irrigated academically in two countries; Kenya and Uganda. I am a Makerere University graduate with honours in English, Literature and Education. I have won creative writing competitions at school, university and national level. My poetry is published in several best selling anthologies. Apart from poetry and radio plays, I also write film scripts, short stories, satirical pieces as well as Children’s tales. I am also a skilled verse and public speaking coach, film enthusiast and music lover. Above all, I am a practicing Christian and son of an evangelist.

Tell us about the poetry scene in your country…

For a long time, Kenya has had many renowned poets who have been anthologized in myriad Africa’s bestselling poetry books. This informs us that poetry writing in Kenya has been vibrant. However, in contemporary Kenyan poetry scene, page poets have apparently been overshadowed by spoken word poets. In fact, the vivacious performances by spoken word poets are sought after thus very trendy especially among the youth. Nevertheless, page poets are still relevant in contemporary Kenyan society although the rate of publication of poetry books is considerably low as compared to other Literature genres like novels, plays and short stories. There are also innumerable poetry forums and events which feature both page and spoken word poets hence offering them exposure.

What influences your creativity?

I spent my formative years in the countryside before we moved to town. The former environment is certainly favorable for creative writing due to its serenity. I also grew up in a very creative environment where our grandmother could routinely tell us stories. The tradition of storytelling which she instilled in me has had a lasting literary impact in my life as a creative writer and poet. My mother is also a proficient storyteller and singer. She inspires me a lot. I must say that my creativity has also been influenced by accessibility of novellas, novels, plays, poetry books, right from primary school. I used to read one novella after another, something that significantly improved my creative writing skills. Besides, our teachers could also engage us in outdoor storytelling sessions especially in hot afternoons. This led to constant writing of imaginative compositions that largely impressed my teachers, classmates and family. So, you can see my creative writing skills have a long history. In my high school days, I immensely enjoyed reading, analyzing and writing poems, something that boosted my creativity. Studying Literature at both Advanced and university level in Uganda also influenced my creativity due to more exposure to world’s Literature. I also love traveling, especially long journeys, and this significantly influences my creativity a great deal in that I conceive great ideas that later turn into poetry.

How do you get around life and your creativity, how do you achieve balance between these, living, and creativity?

Well, I must say that my creativity helps me to live a rewarding life. My pains are turned into gains while my pressures are turned into pleasures. Besides, I always relate well with creative people who inspire me a great deal. Still, engaging in lively interactions and intelligent talks with my family, friends, colleagues and students also boosts my creativity. So I have never erected fences to separate my life from creativity.   

What do you feel is lacking in writing, or poetry making in the continent and how do you think we can solve this?

It deeply pains me when I realize that mentorship in the field of poetry is still deficient. Few renowned poets of African descent, whether living in Africa or in the diaspora, have bothered to nurture budding poets. I can affirm that there are countless undiscovered poets in the villages, towns and cities who have no idea that they are sitting on their poetic writing potential. Can you imagine it took me two decades for society to realize that a poet was born? Well, I all along knew that there is great poetic writing potential in me but I lacked mentorship until I moved to Uganda for my Advanced Level Education. This mentorship continued when I proceeded to Makerere University for my undergraduate degree. That aside, I am greatly indebted to associations such as NABOTU, FEMRITE, African Writers’ Trust and Babishai Niwe Poetry Foundation for offering me steadfast mentorship. Allow me to also appreciate the efforts of my teachers and lecturers at St. Lawrence Creamland Campus and Makerere University respectively for the unwavering inspiration and mentorship. Having said that, I would like to urge all accomplished African poets to nurture especially the budding poets by holding training and mentorship workshops as well as helping them to get published. With this, African poetry will grow immensely.  

If you were a poem, what type or form will you be in, and why?

I would have wished to be a love poem because I believe in Love.

What type of sports are you into?

I love athletics a lot. I also get pleasure from walking fast, whether alone or with company. Basically, this boosts my creativity since I conceive grand ideas that I later use to craft my poetry.

Tells us about your poems in Best New African Poets Anthology…

I conceived the first poem, “The Extraordinary Love Poem,” in one of my senior Literature classes; as I was explaining to my students the meaning of each mentioned stylistic device. If you interact with it closely, you will realize that the persona mentions stylistic devices and artistically relates them with the love experience while illuminating what each is. Frankly speaking, this poem is very close to my heart. The second poem “Palaver” explores modern African societies which are for the most part in ruins. The third poem “Love’s Art and Love-craft” superbly uses form, structure and language to tell the story of uncertainties of love. Basically, since their publication, I have greatly enjoyed enormous literary exposure. I convey my gratification to the editors of BNAP Anthology for their munificent efforts of editing and publishing this book.

What do you think can be done to improve BNAP anthology, in the future editions; marketing, editorial etc?

I humbly propose the idea of holding regional book launches of the future editions which will further inform the public about the poetry book, so that we can have West African, Northern Africa, Southern Africa and East African book launches held in major cities of the respective regions of the continent. This will market the book extensively as well as acting as a platform of inspiring young and upcoming poets into writing. The editors can also consider involving poets from the respective regions in a programme that aims to nurture young talents especially high school and university students. Trust me, there is great talent there. Another thing that needs improvement concerns distribution of the book in major cities of the continent and out of Africa, that is, if funds allow, since in this edition, the distribution has been limited.   

6 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work bro! You are a great inspiration to many an African poetry enthusiast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that someone somewhere is being inspired by my literary work. I dearly appreciate your kind words. Thanks for cheering me on.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for creating time to read this. I dearly appreciate.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Anto for appreciating. I gained a lot of knowledge and inspiration in our Literature dicussions at Creamland Campus, thus I must honestly admit that you are part of this achievement. I dearly appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete